TOTAL HEALTH stocks 8 formulas that may benefit memory & brain function (clear headedness). For most of these, you need to take them for 30 days before you assess their benefit, though some people report positive effects in the 1st week. Due to the blood thinning properties of some herbs, there are cautions for anyone on Rx meds. There are ingredients that are common to different formulas & a short description of each ingredient will be given in the first formula listed. After that, only the supplement facts (mg, etc) will be listed. Here’s the list:
- Ginkgo (aka ginkgo Biloba) – In China, the fruits & seeds of the Ginkgo tree have been used for 5,000 years & it’s the most studied herb in the world (nearly 300 published studies). In the extract form (known as GBE), it takes 50 lbs of leaves to make 1 lb of extract & the process takes 2 weeks & has 27 steps. Ginkgo is primarily used for cerebral & peripheral vascular disorders, but it may help symptoms such as vertigo, tinnitus, headache, short term memory loss & other problems associated with decreased blood flow. The recommended dose of GBE for preventive use or peripheral circulatory support is 60 to 180 mg/day in divided dose. A higher dose if 240 mg a day (divided dosing) may be beneficial for cerebro-vascular insufficiency or early stage Alzheimer’s. Since it has anti-coagulant properties, there are cautions regarding use if taking any medications or aspirin-like products. Products stocked by THNC are:
- Ginkgo 60 or 120 mg – twin pack of TWO 120 cap bottles ~ $26.50 (60 mg) & 34.95 (120 mg)
- Ginkgo Phytosome (bound to phosphatidylcholine) – 120 caps @ 80mg ~ $36.50.
- Huperzine A – 60 tabs @ 200 mcg for $11.50. It’s also known as Chinese Club Moss &supports learning & memory by protecting acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that acts as a messenger molecule in the brain. It’s used for both short-term "brain boost" needs, such as preparing for a test, as well as long-term needs, such as reducing the mild memory loss associated with normal aging
- PS 100 (Phosphatidylserine) – 120 caps for $60 (100mg PS per cap) - PS is a fat-soluble substance called a phospholipid, supporting brain function & its an essential component of cell membranes in the body. Higher concentrations are found in the brain, but its lacking in our diets (slight qtys are in soy derived lecithin). It may benefit adults over 50, especially those with memory loss. Daily dose is 100 mg 3x a day.
- Seriphos – 100 caps for $26.95 - Very similar to PS-100, with each cap containing 105 mg L-Serine & 335mg Phosphorus. Product gurus at 2 companies said you would get the same benefits from Seriphos as with PS.
- Vinpocetine 20 mg – 60 vegecaps for $18.60. This is derived from an alkaloid found in the leaves of lesser periwinkle. It is shown to enter the brain in 10 minutes & increases the flow of red blood cells. Best if taken 60 min after a meal, but some say take it with a meal. We also have 90 caps @ 10 mg for $23.60.
- Synaptin – 60 caps for $13.95 - A vitamin/herbal blend for cognitive support. It contains (per cap):
- TTFD (bioavailable Thiamin - vitamin B-1) – 15 mg (providing 11 mg Thiamine)
- Bacopa Monneira – 60 mg (an herb used in Ayurveda to enhance memory. Studies have shown increases in retention of new information, learning rate & processing visual information.
- Ginkgo Biloba – 50 mg (see description above)
- Vinpocetine – 2.5 mg (see description above)
- Huperzine A – 50 mcg – a standardized extract of Chinese club moss, used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for treating age related memory loss. It is shown to maintain healthy levels of acetylcholine.
- ThinkWell – 60 caps for $24.95 - An Ayurvedic Herb blend supporting healthy brain function & clear thinking.
- Soy Phospholipid Complex – 120 mg (yielding 24 mg PS – see above)
- Bacopa Monneira – 100 mg (standardized @ 60% bacosides) (see description above)
- Gotu Kola – 70 mg (Used To enhance memory, promote mental calm reduce response to stress.
- Vinpocetine – 10 mg (see description above)
- Chelorex – due to space limitations, we’ll cover this in a future review of supplements for Heavy Metal Detox. Chelorex is an oral chelation formula that has been noted to reduce toxic metals & reduce free radicals, while promoting clear headedness in some individuals. A bottle of 540 tabs is $90
To order or for additional information, call Jeff at (919) 781-9994 or email@example.com
The statements above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. No products are intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.